Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Raw Cabbage

Raw Cabbage
I must admit that I am not overly fond of coleslaw, that mix of raw cabbage, raw onion and carrot plus mayonnaise. I do eat it but with not much pleasure, however having a an excess of red cabbages in the garden I have had to search out and have found a really good raw cabbage salad. I suspect that the 12 to 24 hours in the marinade tends to pickle the ingredients and gets rid of the repeating taste of raw onion and cabbage. (It will probably work for green cabbage as well, though I have not tried it.)

Red Cabbage Salad
1whole red cabbage finely sliced
1 to 2 eschallot or small red onion finely sliced
½ cup sherry vinegar
½ cup olive oil
½ cup sugar
4 tablespoons soya sauce (light or dark - your preference)
Mix all together and leave in marinade for 12 to 24 hours

Before serving add dried cranberries and dry roasted cashew nuts - quantities of each to your taste.
Toss and serve
 
Max Dingle                                                                                      4 February 2014

1 comment:

Shoalhaven Foodies said...

Thanks Max. I share your non-love for cabbage, possibly due to over indulgence as a child given my heritage! But this recipe sounds interesting so might give it a go some time. Would love to see some photos of your veggie garden as I remember it as being quite wonderful. Cheers Christine